Create this winter warmer with Haskins Garden Centres’ rhubarb crumble recipe.
With a frosty nip still in the air, Haskins has created a rhubarb crumble recipe for gardeners to use with their homegrown rhubarb.
Alasdair Urquhart, Haskins’ in-house plant expert, commented: “Rhubarb ‘Timperley Early’ is one of the earliest rhubarb varieties that can be ready to harvest as early as February. They are well known for their succulent red-based pink stems with a delicious sweet flavor.”
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g rhubarb chopped into chunks
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 85g butter, chilled
- 50g light brown muscovado sugar
- Tip 500g of rhubarb into a saucepan with 100g of golden caster sugar.
- Cover and simmer on a very low heat for 15 mins, adding more sugar if you want. When soft (but still holding its shape) and sweet enough, pour the rhubarb into a medium baking dish.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- To make the topping, rub 140g self-raising flour and 85g chilled butter together with your fingers until you have a soft, crumbly topping.
- Now add 50g light brown muscovado sugar and scatter the topping over the rhubarb and bake for 30 mins or until golden brown on top.
- Serve piping hot with a jug of custard.