Social and Environmental
At Haskins we strive to be socially and environmentally responsible. We are continually working towards reducing wastage, increasing energy and water efficiency, sourcing ethically and supporting our local communities.
- Most of our plants are British grown. We try to source from local UK nurseries, within 60 miles.
- We promote wildlife friendly plants, hedging and plants to attract birds, bees and butterflies.
- We promote organic and environmentally friendly products.
- We offer organic alternatives in all categories of chemicals and fertilisers where they are available and where we are confident that they produce good results.
- We promote mulching, composting, water conservation and other sustainable gardening methods.
- We offer natural forms of pest control to help you manage your garden responsibly.
- Our timber is sustainably harvested.
- We support the move to reducing peat in compost by promoting organic and peat free alternatives.
- We no longer stock moss peat and are working with our suppliers to reduce peat use completely within, or before the DEFRA timeframe.
- Our garden furniture is sourced from UK based suppliers with proof that wooden products have been legally and sustainably harvested, most are FSC certified or from reputable companies who support sustainable planting.
- We have an internal scheme for recycling paper, cardboard, metal, plastic bottles, shrink wrap and other clear plastics.
- Our plastic bags are degradable, and we offer reusable carrier bags and cardboard boxes.
- Outside each of our centres we have containers where customers can recycle their plastic pots and bedding plant trays.
- We work with our suppliers to find alternatives to plastic plant pots for container grown plants or use pots that are suitable for kerbside recycling.
- Our used electrical items are recycled in accordance with WEEE.
- Our print cartridges are recycled and envelopes are reused for internal use.
- We are designing and running our Garden Centres with a more sustainable edge.
- Conserving water and energy in our Garden Centres are important initiatives in our business for both environmental and economic reasons.
- We monitor and manage water use in our centres through our new metering system.
- Three centres have new computerised heating control systems to maximise energy efficiency and reduce usage.
- Two of our centres use a new energy efficient heat recovery system.
- Our Roundstone Garden Centre has a bore hole, used to water their plants. They also have an energy efficiency lighting system.
- We use the most efficient lighting available.
- Where possible, we support local suppliers and small businesses in the Garden Centres and Restaurants.
- We aim to provide locally sourced and healthy eating choices in all our Restaurants.
- We only use British beef and sustainably sourced fish.
- We offer a range of Gluten Free items on our menus.
- Glass bottles are recycled and used oil is also collected for recycling.
- We use a heat regeneration system in our dishwashers.
People & Community
- It’s our Company’s policy to treat all employees, customers and suppliers fairly and equally. Through our policies and procedures and the training and development of our managers and staff, we strive to promote good practice in this area to eliminate discrimination and harassment as far as reasonably possible.
- We are an equal opportunities employer achieving the standard of Investors in People.
- We support personal training and development initiatives, offered in association with our trade associations, enhancing the skills, knowledge and experience of our staff.
- We are committed to meeting the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). We have integrated the principles of accessibility into the design, construction and operation of our centres and continually strive to improve access and respond to customer feedback.
- We are active supporters of our local communities. Each of our centres supports chosen charities, raising funds through charity events, Pennies and a wishing well appeal.
Supporting a Sustainable Future
Haskins embraced the government legislation on single-use carrier bags in October 2015.
All our carrier bags are made with recycled material and are themselves, 100% recyclable. Whilst we encourage our customers to re-use their own bags, we also offer boxes and plant trays to take your purchases home. We also offer a colourful ‘Bag for Life’ as an alternative to single-use bags.
Use of Proceeds
To strengthen our links to local communities, all monies from the sale of our carrier bags are donated to the charity Greenfingers.
How you can help
- Re-use your bags next time.
- Trolley your shopping to your car.
- Re-use a plant tray.